Friday, May 04, 2007

Winning Hearts and Minds

I don't check in with every blog on the internets, but I just hopped over to Animation Writers at the blogspot, and perused old and new posts. On Smackdown at TAG Central I nosed through the lively back-and-forth in comments, and decided to add my own. It turned out to be a fine idea:

I don't think it's a tiny fraction of "artists" who have total distain for the writers, but a fairly large batch. Dishearting to say the least, especially when that's also reflected by our union officials. (A commenter -- presumably a writer -- complaining about about how "union officials" have such disdain for writers.)

Just so we're clear on this: I'm a "union official" who made his living as an animation writer for twelve years. I don't draw. (Me, the "union official", pointing out that he worked for over a decade as a writer.)

And then, a few days later, my comment elicited this:

Anonymous said...

No wonder the union is in such shit shape. This explains why you're so baffled by the situation artists are in right now. You have no idea what it's like. You're just another coddled writer. (And this must be an artist, saying how I don't have a clue about artists.)

It's amazing how, with just a few keystrokes, I can alienate artists and writers.

Don't everybody applaud all at once. It's a natural gift.

2 comments:

Brent said...

Ah, don't worry about it, Steve. It's the typical envy that exists in any environment with strongly delineated skill sets. The grass is always greener, etc.

You rock.

Steve said...

Heh.

Welcome to the world.

I almost think getting crapped on via the internet is the online equivalent of a Debutante ball.

Site Meter